Monday, November 27, 2006

File Under 'I Could Give A Fuck'

Last week Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got married. Now this event is really insignificant in my life as it was in almost everyone else's in this country and in he world. My problem, AGAIN, is that the media assumes that the public is hounding for news about the wedding. I could care less what dress she wore or what food they served at the reception.

But what bothers me is that for like a week, I could not stop seeing reports about the wedding. In fact, the TV Guide channel practically ran this stupid two-hour show about the wedding on a perpetual loop last weekend. (At least, I assumed it was two hours because the shit was on FOREVER! I stopped watching the TV Guide channel that week and was forced to just click aimlessly through my channels.)

Now, I wish Tom and Katie every happiness. I do. I think he's a freak and she's brainwashed and vapid, but hey, to each his own.

What got me is that everyone, and I mean everyone, seemed to have an opinion about this relationship. People (reporters mostly) that I am 100% sure have never met Tom Cruise nor Katie Holmes in their entire lives, now have a national forum in which to give their unsubstaniated best guesses on things that are none of their business. One woman actually went so far as to say that she believes that Katie's parents didn't approve of the relationship but that all changed once Suri was born. But how does she know that? Maybe they still don't approve. Maybe they're going along with in because they want to stay in the lives of Katie and Suri. Maybe Tom Cruise sent them to the mother ship to get a labotomy. I don't know. But neither did she. Since when do we have the right to pry into people's lives? To dissect their every move? I understand that celebrities are fascinating to most people. But since when did that come to mean that they weren't entitled to any sort of private life?

And more importantly, why are innocent bystanders such as myself subjected to the media's constant fascination with every single aspect of a celebrity's life?

3 comments:

Michele said...

Amen!
I hear you and I agree whole heartedly.

I have the TV off most times. Give me a good blog, book or friend and the world is great.

It was Non-news, as far as I'm concerned. Boring really.
I LOL'd at your opinion of Mr. Tom. I haven't seen him in his latest movies because I can't stand looking at him. I only saw Top Gun because of Val Kilmer. And I'm one of the demented that only saw it once. I know some women who saw it 6 times at least. I ask, why?

I like your views because, believe it or not, I think you speak for a ton of us out here in the real world.

;-)

Nicole said...

I totally agree. But apparently a lot of the public is interested in this. I guess we'll just have to try and tune it all out.

Anonymous said...

I can't agreee that it's the mature public though. I honestly think the media believes we want this shit, that it supercedes the real important issues. Recently I found a post it note under the bed of my 12yr old with ways to access Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. I spoke with him about it and have since restricted his access to our home computer, ie, his profile has a password and he now needs to ask my permission. Then next day I read that Britney Spears is the most "looked up" artist on the net. No wonder with kids having access to such info. Unfortunately that's what our world has come to and dare I say we've allowed it. Our greed for more has surpassed raising our kids who are the actual perpetrators of seemingly wanting such news!

Chandra